Our clients come to our Carramar centre through word of mouth and by referral from other organisations. The HoW ensures they are welcomed and that they understand their rights and get support.
HoW often supports those most in need, those who are not eligible for any housing, financial or medical support, those at greatest risk of destitution. HoW also supports the settlement and empowerment of its clients so that they can join the local community with a sense of pride and dignity.
Click here to see a short Programs Report from January 2010 – July 2011
Services & Programs (Call us, drop in and we’ll see what we can do for you)
- ‘Safe Place’ Transitional Housing – preventing destitution and homelessness by providing transitional shelter to families and individuals. We currently have 26 properties across Sydney, with an average stay of 11 months.
- ‘Community Living & Family Support’ – supporting independence through financial assistance for those without income or the right to work
- Emergency Assistance Program – reducing impacts of unexpected shocks and preventing further destitution
- Empowerment Loans Program – providng small flexible, no-interst loans for education, employment & housing
- Community Activities Programs - creating links in the community, providing emotional support & breaking isolation (monthly social outings; school holiday activities; home visits; respite weekends and orientation for new arrivals)
- Drop-in Centre – providing case work, legal, employment and medical referrals, client advocacy, community service information and a home away from home to access computers, watch TV with friends and have a cup of tea with our team
- Skills Development Courses – building on the strengths of clients we offer weekly English, Computer and Sewing classes and occasional training sessions to orientate and prepare clients to life in Australia
- Community Kitchen - a platform for welcome and participation as clients prepare and cook food for 25-30 people each week at our centre and run cooking classes for community members
- Volunteer Program – offering opportunities for work experience, employment references and community participation for those who are preparing for work in Australia or to reduce isolation for those without the right to work